Thursday, October 16, 2008

Ogunquit, ME

A couple weekends ago Kate and I went to Ogunquit, ME for two nights. It was a couples weekend including Kate's parents, and her father's employee and wife. Kate and her family have been going to Ogunquit for years but this was my first time, so I was anxious to check it out (There is something about coastal/fishing towns that I am just drawn to). The last time I was in Maine was on a backpacking trip on the 100-mile wilderness section of the AT; the time before that was for away games at University of Southern Maine when I was playing soccer for ECSU. So I never made it to the coast (I somewhat recall owning a Kennebunkport t-shirt when I was younger but I don't remember going). Since this was an off-season visit there was a lot less people milling around which added to the experience. Kate and I brought our bikes up and we took a nice morning ride the first morning there to get some breakfast.

My first impression of Ogunquit was "just what I expected". Quaint, gorgeous, flat terrain, great ocean smell everywhere, fishermen (in this case lobstermen), and nautical everything. Obviously I loved it.

This is a photo from our hotel, The Dunes on the Waterfront


The next two photos are from the Marginal Way



These last two are from our boat trip out to an island with a light house (please click to enlarge the last photo)



It was a great trip and we already plan on going back next year! Hopefully we can stay longer than just two nights, but I will take what I can get.

No comments: